The Taiwanese School of Georgia drum team was established in 2008 by student and parent volunteers. There’s total 12 team members for 2018-2019 academic year. The team members are all self-taught and have undergone 2 hours of rigorous training weekly after Saturday school. The team has performed at many important community events and locations around the metro Atlanta area, notably the Atlanta Dogwood Festival, Atlanta Botanical Gardens, Lake Lanier Dragón Boat Race, Centennial Olympic Park, Gwinnett Civic Center, Duluth Festival, Suwanee Festival, Johns Creek Internal Festival, Atlanta International Night Market Festivals, APAC Gala, Taiwanese American Heritage Week, and the Lunar New Year Festival among many international school events.
In contrast with other cultures that utilized large drums for war, Taiwan’s farmers used theirs’ to summon the rain for expecting a good harvest. Our drummers often have free range of the stage to move around and perform fabulous programs. The deep bass sound of the drum represents the sky’s rolling thunder, while the high treble note represents the distant lightning strike; after an hour or two of the performance, rain would inevitably appear.
- Captain- Joyce (Chieh) Yun, Age 18, Chamblee Charter High School
- Dawson Lim, Age 17, Gwinnett School of Mathematics, Science and Technology
- Derek Lin, Age 17, Johns Creek High School
- Shirley Huang, 15, Gwinnett School of Mathematics, Science and Technology
- Kiki (Gwyneth) Lim, 14, Craws Middle School